want to know something i am really good at?
taking a low calorie food + giving it a brown butter hug!
today’s butter victim.. spaghetti squash!
spaghetti squash is one of the winter squash variety + it gets its name from the way the flesh of the squash turns into thin strands.. looking like spaghetti!
something really neat about it is that it is very mild, unlike many of its squash friends that tend to be more on the sweet side of things.
the mild flavor of the squash makes for a perfect accompaniment to a variety of ingredients as well as other sauces and such.
enter: brown butter.
with spaghetti squash rolling in at only 42 calories per cup, it totally makes it okay to toss its delicate strands in a little indulgence while still getting to feel great about your dinner choice!
this dish is exactly that!
the brown butter coats the caramelized criminis, the pine nuts deliver a rich crunch factor + the italian blend cheese gives it a slight naughty edge – while everything stays in diet balance!
don’t let the roasting time of this recipe scare you away – simply let yourself plan ahead a bit!
all you have to do is poke the squash + let the oven do it’s thing for 60 minutes.
in those 60 minutes you can get that chore around the house done
or watch an exercise video while sitting on the couch + eating a snack
once you combine all the flavors + scoop the dish back into the skin for a fun serving way, you will totally appreciate the hour it took to hit the table!
- 2 spaghetti squash
- 8oz crimini mushrooms
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 8oz italian blend cheese, shredded
- Preheat your oven to 375
- Using a knife, poke a few holes around the spaghetti squash + place the squash onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour.
- After 30 minutes, start your prep on your other steps!
- Place a large skillet over medium heat on the stove.
- Add the butter to the skillet + allow for it to brown. Once browned, add in the mushrooms, garlic + shallot. Lower heat to medium low + let everything caramelize until your squash is ready.
- When the squash is done roasting, remove from the oven + allow to cool enough to handle. Use a large knife to cut the squash in half - lengthwise. Scoop the seeds from the center + discard.
- Use a fork to ‘shred’ apart the flesh, giving you strands of the squash that look like spaghetti! You can go as close as you can to the skin, but keep the shell of the squash without holes so that you can use it as a bowl! Set the skin shells aside.
- Add the spaghetti squash into your skillet with the browned butter mushrooms.
- Add in the cheese, pine nuts + parsley, stirring to combine.
- Scoop the spaghetti squash mix back into the shells + serve garnished with more parsley! enjoy!
fun little fact: you can cook the spaghetti squash in the microwave! this cooking shortcut only takes about 15 minutes.. here is a link to how!